Wednesday, March 03, 2010

My inability to communicate with the Asians continues

Oh, wow, sushi in a grocery store food court........huh, and with chopsticks. Someone's trying not to blend in with the rest of us lonely, grocery store lunch time losers.
I continued to eat my salad and cottage cheese while keeping an eye on the chopsticks. Yes, I was waiting for her to drop the raw fish, but she kept popping them in her mouth after dipping each of them in some kind of sauce. I have to admit, she had chopstick skills.
I was talked into trying sushi at a bridal shower a few years ago. I shoved the whole thing in my mouth, it was gross. I just can't get past the raw fish idea, I've seen raw fish before and smelled it. So I sat there chewing, wondering how to gracefully spit it out. That's when the video camera, manned by my nieces Asian friend, came by to ask me if I had anything profound to say to the future bride. She waited patiently with the camera trained on my face, as I just about swallowed the sushi whole.
"Water."
"So do you have any words of advice or encouragement for the bride?" Whoever started this tradition should be shot.
"I'm sorry, they (pointing to my in-laws) just made me eat sushi, it was awful."
Remember this is all on camera.
"Oh, I made that." The Asian friend of my niece said. "I don't think it turned out as good as it usually does, I was in a hurry, sorry."
"Water."
I think my niece got all the information she needed from me by then.

2 comments:

ReformingGeek said...

Sometimes I think we have too much technology.

I'm not much into the raw stuff but I can eat some of the "cooked" stuff.

Just give me tempura and be done with it!

Mike Golch said...

well I have enjoyed sushi,and shammi(that's when it is served raw with out the rice wrapping.It is all about aquiring the taste.