Tuesday, August 07, 2012

I figured out the Olympics

I figured out their crazy commercial system they have going on. No one had to explain it to me although it's probably common knowledge. I'd sit down to watch TV and of course nothing is on except the Olympics, so I decide to watch. Switching to the Olympic channel there is a commercial on and then another. I think I sat through 27 commercials before I saw an Olympic event.
Okay, alright, here we go, I'm watching the 2012 Olympics. I took a sip of my Pepsi and reclined in my chair. We were in the track and field area and I was hoping I'd get to see some big guys throwing stuff. But no they were getting ready to show us a race, the 100 yard dash. That's what I call it because I refuse to conform to the metric system like the rest of the world and I'm rock solid on this issue because math is hard.
Obviously the object of the 100 yard dash is to win in the least amount of seconds and milli-seconds as possible. The race is really, really fast so I ask myself, 'what will they show us next?'
A commercial.
A commercial? Hey! I just watched 238 commercials, 15 seconds of the Olympics and you're going to show me more commercials? I don't think so. I debated whether I wanted to get out the LOST DVD's, all 6 seasons, I've been saving them for a rainy day. It would be fun to watch from the beginning now that I know the secrets of the smoke monster. The problem is it just won't rain. I ended up on FaceBook.
I tried watching again a few days later, Men's Volleyball, I wrote about it here. We, the husband and I tried to figure out, well I express some interest in the game, the husband had his finger on the remotes 'change the channel' button. I realized as the game progressed there were no commercials.
Doh!
The network has to get so many commercials in during the airing of the Olympics. So race, commercial, race, commercial, vault, commercial, balance beam, commercial and then an entire game of volleyball. See how that works? I guess it makes sense but I'm not going to sit through 549 commercials unless Jesus is giving a speech.

4 comments:

Rob-bear said...

There are five circles on the Olympic flag.

Then, there's "All My Live's a Circle," by the late Harry Chapin. (That's a digression; sorry.)

Now, you've discovered yet another Olympic circle: event, commercial, event, commercial, event, commercial . . . and a whole bunch of commercials at the end/beginning.

Thank you so much for this life-essential enlightenment.

Blessings and Bear hugs.

(Oh, how did I find you? Reffie, the Reforming Geek, showed me the way. You can thank/blame her.)

Symdaddy said...

Ah ... Blessed be the BBC!!!

No ads!!!

ReformingGeek said...

I was going to write a comment but it's time to break for commercial.

Ok. We're back. So, let's go to the arena for the balance beam....

Here we are. Gabby will go last. We'll be back in a minute.

Back at the arena we have Ka Ching from China on the beam. Whoa! A little wobble there. Yep. That won't score high. Aly is up next. We'll be right back.

Aly is ready. She looks nervous. Oh, wait. There is a question about Ka Ching's score. We'll be right back.

......

I think that's how my evening will go.

Ka Ching.

Suzanne said...

Rob-bear - Wonderful to have you visit. I did recognize your name from Carols blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Symdaddy - Really? I think I get that channel. I'll have to check.

Carol - I see you've been trying to watch gymnastics. It isn't easy is it?