Friday, November 21, 2008

Cool Old Lady Glasses

My eye doctor and I have come to an understanding. Avoid looking old. I can’t see up close and I can’t see far away. She says she likes a good challenge and understands all to well the bi-focal thing. She’s a few years younger than me and knows that at around forty-twoish, the close up vision starts to faultier. It’s hard to feel young when you have a pair of glasses perched on the end of your nose and you have to look over them at someone when they start to talk to you. I don’t want to look like a librarian, it’s really not the look I’m going for. Back to the understanding. I will continue to wear contacts, but refuse to wear contacts with bi-focals, it makes me nauseous just thinking about them. I will have a secret pair of bi-focals. I shall call them my Holiday frames, because they are going to end up being my Christmas present. Even though I plan on keeping these old lady glasses to myself, I’m still going to get cool frames. I found pages of reasonably priced frames at zennioptical.com and there are some cool ones. Cool old lady glasses, I think that’s what you call an oxymoron.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always been dreadfully nearsighted and having passed the 40 eyefocus disater zone, I too didn't want the bifocal contacts. My doctor recommeded what they call mono-vision. One contact for close up, one for distance. For most people (fortunately me included), the brain automatically adjusts. The only time I need to add the glasses is when I'm reading for lengthy periods but 95% of the time all's well. I liked it so much, when I had the laser vision correction sugery, I chose mono-vision again.

Cheers