Wednesday, September 29, 2010

There are things out there, things

Me and my vivid imagination had absolutely no where to be Sunday morning, so we decided to sleep late. The husband, me and the dog slept the morning away, drifting in and out of sleep. We would mumble about coffee, try to get the dog to start the coffee machine. Apparently this was to difficult for her and she lay at the foot of the bed like a slug. Opposable thumbs came up - again and quite frankly, I'm getting tired of that excuse. The coffee is all made, you just have to push the on button, she could do it if she wanted to.
I listened to the birds chirp, would fall back to sleep. I'd be rattled awake by the thump on the roof.
"The hell?" And then I would hear a thwap, thwap, thwap of something with a giant wing span flying away. It happened 3 or 4 times. I just can't win, I either have ducks and geese or creatures from a scientific experiment gone wrong, like in The Mist, landing on my roof to terrorize my neighborhood. Now seriously, I'm leaning towards the ducks and geese because it's morning and everyone knows horrific, scientific creatures come out at night. But what if the creatures got an early start? Shouldn't I shower? I'd hate to be chased out of my neighborhood in my nightgown and bedhead. I'm too tired to run screaming through the streets. I drifted off again.
Half an hour later, I glanced at the dog, she hadn't moved a muscle. It must have been the husband that woke me because he was gone. I hope he starts the coffee. I hope he wasn't dragged out the window by scary, horrific, scientific creatures. There appeared to be no signs of struggle, I'm sure he's fine. My vivid imagination and I went back to sleep.

4 comments:

MikeWJ at Too Many Mornings said...

I love this post, Sue! It's really creative, and extremely well written. Tight, even though it conveys that lazy-Sunday-morning-sleeping-in-late feeling perfectly. The bit about the dog and opposable thumbs and the coffee pot is priceless.

Suzanne said...

Mike - Wow thank you for all your compliments. And bless you for commenting in 3 post in a row. You are a peach.

MikeWJ at Too Many Mornings said...

You know, I used to read your blog all the time. And then somehow I lost track of it. I need to add it to my blogroll, and will. That way, I won't lose track of it again.

Still having that e-mail problem, by the way. I can't even respond to the e-mails you've sent me. It kicks them back as undeliverable. Weird, huh?

Suzanne said...

I've sent you emails Mike?
I'll add you to my Blog Roll too.