Tuesday, January 04, 2011

I might need a dog therapist

I took the dog for a walk yesterday, she needed to get out of the house. She doesn't seem to be doing stir crazy well. We exchange Christmas cookies with our next door neighbors and Buckeye and their dog, her boyfriend, exchange gifts. Now, we have banned squeak toys from our house, we just don't see the point. After raising three boys with annoying, noisy toys we put our foot down with the squeaks.
Her boyfriend presented her with a squeak basketball. We let it go because when she opened it the fun ensued. Maybe being stuck in the house during the blessed holiday season has messed with her head slightly because she grabbed the ball, it squeaked and she freaked. She heard the squeak and stopped in her tracks with a WTF look on her face. This went on for days, a continued amusement for the entire family. Then her attitude toward the ball started to change. She started to carry it around with her everywhere, ever so carefully so's not to squeak it. It was never out of her sight, becoming an object of her affection. It was now hers and her boyfriends baby. When Erv, and you never trust Erv, came over on New Years Day, she carried her ball/baby and cried the whole evening. Trying to find a place to hide it so Erv wouldn't get it. She brought it to bed with us that night and we, of course rolled over it several time during the night to awake with a start to a squeak. It's too late to ban this ball, she has an unhealthy obsession with it. Stir crazy I tell you. The boys are having their fun with her, they squeeze it when she's not looking and she comes running. "Where's your baby? Get your ball!" But they don't have time to take her for a walk. Huh.
"Mom, she thinks it's her baby."
"Did you get a picture?"
"We have to take a video, put it on YouTube."
This is when I stepped in to introduce reason and logic into the situation.
"We have to name it Wilson."

10 comments:

Symdaddy said...

gotta pup just like that ... only he eats his balls.
















Tennis balls!

What were you thinking?

ReformingGeek said...

Ah, such a sweet baby!

Suzanne said...

Symdaddy - What? Absolutley nothing.

Carol - Thank you!

Unfinished Rambler said...

I'm waiting for the YouTube video. Give me a link when it's ready. :)

00dozo said...

Ha! I have four dogs - none of them play with "toys" and the only one that does plays with coconuts, empty dog food bags, plastic watering cans, etc. I tried a tennis ball once - she ran away!

But here's the photo I think Symdaddy was referring to:

http://00dozo.wordpress.com/2011/01/05/oh-balls/

I'd also love to see a vid of your dog and her baby!
;-)

Suzanne said...

UR and 00dozo - I have to play with my new camera and figure out how to make a vid. It will be on my blog the minute I get it!

Symdaddy said...

Like that pic 00dozo, but I wasn't referring to a piccy.

I was actually in actual fact alluding to his 'nuts'.

Suzanne said...

How did an innocent post about my crazy dog turn into discussion about dog nuts?

MikeWJ at Too Many Mornings said...

Sue, I have learned that no matter what you write about, including God and the death of a loved one, it will inevitably turn into a discussion about dog's nuts, or men's penises, or dildos, or threesomes, or some things that I don't even understand but they obviously have something to do with sex. In the end, I think we just have to roll with it or we'll go crazy.

Suzanne said...

Mike - I'm trying to run a PG-13 blog and you're referencing penises and dildos. Jesus H. Christ I'm glad my mom doesn't have a computer, you'd be in so much trouble with her.