Thursday, November 08, 2007

Alzheimer's Foundation of America National Memory Screening Day

November 13, 2007 is Alzheimer's Foundation of America National Memory Screening Day. It’s being promoted to help early detection of Alzheimer’s disease and other illnesses related to memory loss. Can you imagine someone you love forgetting you? We talk about loosing family pictures and mementos in a fire or in a computer crash, but to loose the memories and recognition, a lifetime? It scares me. There are screening sites all over the country that are offering free, confidential memory screenings. Go to the site and search your state for a screening site, there are a bunch of them in Ohio, I checked.
While memory screening and early detection of Alzheimer’s and other memory loss illness’s are an important part of the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America, it is that, part of a wonderful organization dedicated to finding a cure. Dedicated to insuring proper care and improving the quality of life for those afflicted with memory loss diseases. Donations are extremely appreciated. Do you have someone on your holiday gift list that is difficult to buy for? Make a donation in their name or a loved ones name that is or has been afflicted with Alzheimer’s.I cherish the memories my mom and dad have of the old days. My mother-in-law loves to tell us about Aunt Jean and Uncle Chubs farm. About a month ago I found out I had an Uncle Nub. “Uncle Nub?” I asked, “Well, he lost a few fingers when he was a teenager.” Oh my God! You can’t make that stuff up! And that kind of information is probably not in writing anywhere. My grandfather was called Slim because he was skinny and I had an Uncle Java, because he liked coffee so much. Our parents are a wealth of information and memories. And it would be a shame to not be able to access those fun stories. Poor Uncle Nub.


No comments: