Thursday, September 25, 2008

Did He Just Dis' Me?

Yes, the joys of parenthood came to a crashing halt when I opened the cell phone bill. Events spiraled out of control as I investigated the added charges.
Boy #2 received, from mommy and daddy, a new phone for his birthday last month.
"What's this megabytes charge?" I asked Boy #3, because he's the all knowing, 21st century, techno terminology guru in the house.
"It's memory."
"Oh................ Well, why is his $62.38 and yours is only a $1.99?"
Boy #3's eye's lit up and he grinned, that 'I didn't do it this time' grin.
The birthday phone came with a free month of internet, and that's it, I didn't sign anything.
"I'm calling about this charge."
As the evening progressed the husband barely showed interest, just an occasional glance over the newspaper.
When finally I got a human on the other end of my land-line, I explained, "I'm calling about my bill, it's a little higher than usual."
At the other end, I heard, "Wow, $842.56."
"Whaa..... no. $62.38."
"Ma'am, your bill is currently $842.56. It's from the internet usage."

"But.................$842.56? Could you hold on a sec? Go get your brother, tell him to stop using his cell phone, tell him to turn it off now!"
That's when the husband decided to get involved.

I couldn't get through to the woman on the other end of the phone that this was impossible, the best she could do for me was take off 25%.
"I have to call financial services and see if I can get a payment plan." I told the husband.
"Give me the phone."
By the time he got off the phone he had the entire $842.56 credited to our account.
"How did you do that?" I said in utter disbelief.
"All I did was introduce logic into the conversation."
"Kids, leave the room, mommy's going to hurt daddy."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! What did he say to get the credit???? I have to know.

*lynne* said...

logic? musta been magic!!

Ellen said...

That same scenario happened to a lady here in Dallas EXCEPT her bill was around $6,000!!!!! The cell phone company did adjust it to the normal charges. But the lady had to get one of the local news stations involved to get it reduced.

Babs (Beetle) said...

Ha ha! Surely nobody can use that much internet time up?

Jesse Frederick said...

Wow! That's a lot of money! And I agree with Karen, what did your husband say? And what did you do to your son?

Great post! Keep it up!

Suzanne said...

Well, his logic was that only 10 days had elapsed since the free month of internet expired. $800 for 10 days? And the fact that we had no internet plan on our contract!