Friday, April 11, 2008

Celebrate Mom For Who She Is

You know how when you were a teenager and your mom said to you, “I hope when you have kids they act just like you?” It’s a curse they put on us and it works. I’ve done it myself. I’m not sure how or if it can be undone. But every Mother’s Day I tell my mom how sorry I am for those teenage years, it’s kind of like an annual gift from me to her. She grins at me and I patiently wait to see if the curse will magically be undone. When my boys do something stupid I know it has not been lifted. I haven’t scored enough points with her to undo the drama of my “I know everything” years.

1-800-Flowers.com is running a Celebrate Mom For Who She Is Contest, perhaps I can score some big time points by winning her some prizes, you know bribe her. You have to write a touching story about your mom. I remember in the sixth grade, before I was a teenager, I was trying out for cheer-leading. Try outs got to the part where I had to do a cheer all by myself and I chickened out. My mom was in the parking lot waiting for me and I went running to her crying. She didn’t judge me and she “believed” me the next day when I said I was sick and couldn’t go to school. She let me stay home when I felt humiliated, built up my self esteem for a long weekend and then sent me off to school Monday.

Yep, I definitely need to enter that story and say, “Hey mom! Remember when I was cute?” Maybe I can break the curse and my children will magically make all the right decisions and think I’m right all the time.


No comments: