Monday, September 14, 2009

Apparently I have mad ironing skills

"You look nice in that white shirt."
"Thank you."
"Did you press it yourself?"
"Uh yeeees."
"It looks good."
"Thank...... you?"

So along with my charming personality, friendly disposition and my ability to get along well with others, I can wield a mean-ass iron. This conversation was with a Marine, they know about pressing. My resume is complete.
I'm guessing they call ironing, pressing in the Marines, right?

So I asked the husband.
"Did he mention your gib line?"
"Huh? Give line? The hell are you talking about?"
"Gib line, the line of buttons from your neck to your crotch."
"He never mentioned my crotch."

So I searched google for gib line, nothing.
"You don't know what you're talking about, gib line, there's no such thing on google or wikipedia."
"Are sure he wasn't hitting on you?"
"I.... no.... I just have mad ironing skills."

6 comments:

ReformingGeek said...

I'm bringing my ironing to you or I'm hiring a Marine. I had Hubby tell me that his brand new shirt, freshly laundered but not pressed looked as good as the shirts I press for him and he wears 3 weeks later.

I vehemently disagreed.

Then he claims that my efforts are appreciated.

Uh, huh?

MikeWJ at Too Many Mornings said...

I'm with your husband, I think he was hitting on you. Some men have this thing for white shirts. Especially well-ironed white shirts. I guess this gives new meaning to the phrase, "You're hot! Iron hot!" :)

Relax Max said...

It's been about 200 years since I was in the Air Force, but I think the term you are looking for is "Gig line".

As in "Gimme a Gig, Airman."

A gig is what in ancient times used to be called a "demerit" for minor uniform infractions occurring in basic training (you don't get them after basic training). If you get too many gigs, they threaten to set you back in training a couple weeks. A fate worse than death. I think you were allowed 3 a week. I had probably 30-something in 3 or 4 days. That's a lie. From a technical standpoint, a gig is a Department of Defense small paper form, with your name and unit printed on it, 3 of which you carry on your person during training, to give to your drill instructor should he stick his nose in your face and scream the aforementioned "Gimme a Gig, Airman!" Or, I suppose Soldier or Marine. Whatever fits.

The Gig line refers to the fact that the front of your uniform must be in alignment: shirt button line in line with edge of metal belt buckle which is, in turn, in line with your fly.

You can get gigs for other things like having a pocket unbuttoned, but the above is what an actual Gig line is. Now you can find Gig line on Wikipedia. But...

I'm guessing that's probably about all you care to know about Gigs.

You should also know that single men in the armed services send their uniforms to the laundry. One doesn't iron. One picks up his laundry and pays. He only washes his "whites" himself.

Unless things have changed in the last 200 years or so. :)

Candice said...

He totally wants you!

Anonymous said...

Posh- as an ex-military man, i appreciate a good ironing job. Oh, and we always called it a gig line because we got "gigged" for it being out of alignment. Anyway, he might have been hitting on you...

Meg said...

A crisped ironed shirt--as a newly single gal I'll try anything I can. Thanks!