Saturday, March 15, 2008

Checking Out Kettering University

From the Marines, to a policeman, history teacher, then electrician and now industrial engineering, Boy #2 the Senior has me all over the internet seeking education information. But I encourage him to explore as many options for his future career as possible. What’s that old saying? “Do something you love and you will never work a day in your life.” I think it goes something like that.

While an education is very important, experience on the job can be just as educational. US News and World Report is telling me that Kettering University is the #1 University in the nation for Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering. Huh! In their engineering co-op programs students get placed in a job and rotate between the job and school. That’s what you call the best of both worlds I would say.

So if the career merry-go-round stops at engineering, Kettering University is only 238 miles away from mommy, I mean home. We can easily take family road trip and check out the campus. Their site has a link to MapQuest and several places they suggest to stay. Sending a kid off to college and helping him take another step towards independence will be tough for me, how will I know if he’s eating his vegetables?

No comments: