Friday, November 30, 2007

Pay it Forward

The dog and I were out on the town today. First to the bank, it's our Friday thing. I had a craving for an Egg McMuffin, so we meandered over to the drive-thru. I shouted out my order,
"I just want an Egg McMuffin please."
And then I think she said $2.50. The dog was getting excited, the drugstore drive-thru gives her a dog biscuit. She's a smart dog but she hasn't been able to distinguish drive-thru's yet. Yes, my total was $2.50. I got my change and a quarter literally stuck to my thumb. Gross. That's never happened to me before. I know money is filled with more germs than a gas station bathroom, but damn, it stuck to my thumb.
My next stop was for a mocha, that's also a Friday thing. The Egg McMuffin was a detour. I went to pay for my mocha and thought,
"I should get rid of that quarter."
I had the angel on one shoulder and the devil himself on the other. But ever since I started watching My Name is Earl, I have this thing about karma, I like the good kind. I was at a gas station and you know how they have those moist towelettes next to the cash registers? Well the cashier gave me my total and I started to pay her but stopped when I had the sticky quarter. I opened up one of the moist towelettes and washed off the quarter. She looked at me and said,
"Most people would have just gave it to me, thanks."
So during the hectic holiday season take time to clean a quarter or two and make someone smile.
Pay it forward!

No comments: