Saturday, November 24, 2007

There is a Dead Deer Across the Street Laying Next to the Fire Hydrant

There is a dead deer across the street laying next to the fire hydrant. Just when I was wondering what I was going to blog about today I hear a thump outside my office window. Here is how the story unfolds so far, because if there is a dead deer laying across the street next to the fire hydrant, it isn't over.
While trying to generate traffic to my blogs I hear a thump. I'm situated just so in my home office that I get a clear view of the neighborhood without having to leave my computer. I'm Mrs Kravitz from Bewitched. But the thump would make anyone curious. I saw a deer stumble to the grass and fall. It tried to get up, but couldn't. I recognized the driver that stopped, one of Boy #2's friends, so I went outside. He started to walk towards the deer and the mother in me says,
"Don't get close to it!"
I brought him in the house and we called the non-emergency police.
Boy #2's friend said, "I'm going to go out and wait."
"Okay." I replied, "Hey, it was nice seeing you again."
This is when Boy #3 expressed some interest in the whole incident. With our noses pressed up to the window, we watched the police come and start talking to Boy #2's friend. We saw them start to walk towards the deer and then the policeman stopped and Boy #2's friend walked back to his car. See he must have told him not to get close to it too! The policeman stood over the deer for a few minutes. The deer was still trying to get up. We think the policeman was talking on a walkie-talkie. Boy #3 and I took our eyes off the drama that was unfolding in our front yard to question the voice of authority, the husband.
"They have to put it out of it's misery, how would they do that?"
That's when we heard the unmistakable sound of a actual gunshot in our front yard.
"Whoooa! Oh My God!"
"City girl." says the husband.
So there is a dead deer across the street laying next to the fire hydrant. I would like to think there is a plan for dead deer removal in our community, it isn't the first time a deer has been hit by a car around here, just the first time we've had a front seat view.
Yep, it's still out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I have hit at least 3 deer since I started driving, but I live in the middle of nowhere, hopefully they got it cleaned up for you. I know there not pretty once they have been there a few days.